Dear Lyme Disease,
I know what you’re thinking, why should I be thanking Lyme?
Lyme Disease, you may have pushed me down…but I’m right back up.
9 months ago, I stopped walking.
I couldn’t even move my legs. I couldn’t so much as touch my legs without screaming in pain.
Here’s a list of what you can do in 9 months:
- Have a baby
- Grow 4.5 inches of hair
- Watch a butterfly appear from its cocoon
- Grow a pineapple plant
- Stop walking
Out of that fun short list, I ended up with the last one. I still think back to this and cry about it. How can you not?
Without it though, I’d probably be dead.
And I continue to walk!
I haven’t touched my cane in 2 weeks.
- I’ve made the wonderful decision to NEVER go back to a public high school. I’ve learned more this year- out of school, than I have sitting in that classroom. I have enrolled in an alternative school that allows me to continue to travel, run my business and live my life while reviving an extraordinary education
- I’ve been asked to be on the speaker’s panel at the Writer’s Conference at Hollins.
- I’ve been asked to teach a class of doctors at Carilion about my disease. Let me repeat that for those in the back, a class of doctors.
- I’ve started a business.
- I’va become a spokes person for Children’s Miracle Network- having appeared in several radiothons and events.
That’s just the start of it, I have more plans that have yet to be announced!
And to answer your question: No, I can’t ever “stop”. Someone once said to me, “You just don’t stop, do you.”
Nope! Why would I stop, when there’s so much to do?
Thank you, Lyme Disease. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.
Of course, my fight doesn’t stop here. I’ll be fighting until there’s a cure, and I’m so ready for this fight.
Bring it, Lyme.
Someone who’s totally kicking ass 😘
Special thanks to: